Monday, October 13, 2008

Separation Anxiety


Well, it's been 3 weeks now since Ben has been born. Ever since we took him home we have been sleeping with him in our room - either in a bassinett by my bedside or in the bed with us (yes, I know that all the baby books advocate against it - but, he is so small and cute). I have been adequately scared by all the SIDS literature out there that I am convinced that our small son will suddenly stop breathing in his sleep. I am also still trying to decipher all of the farm animal noises he makes in his sleep to try and determine if he is tangled in his swaddler or if he has magically turned into a goat.
Right now it is 10 pm and I have been staring at our video monitor for the past 2 1/2 hours because I have finally set my son down to sleep in his crib. He is quite the active sleeper, so it is almost like watching television. I feel like a neglectful mother for leaving my child alone in his room and he is so small in his big crib - but, I know that this is just the first step down a long road of gradually granting my child small freedoms. However, I totally miss him right now and I am hoping he will wake up soon so that we can cuddle and feed.
More signs that Ben is growing - his belly button finally fell off!! So, Jordan and I gave him his first real bath. I think he liked the warm water, he still just hates being naked. Jordan will post the video on the photobucket link soon - so, watch for it.




Also, Ben finally took his first bottle...Jordan is happily giving middle of the night feedings now :-)

1 comment:

Hillary Walsh said...

jen, you are such a good mommy, and, though i know you're working w/o a manual, i have no doubt that you're doing a great job raising a wonderful son. i hope the anxiety melts into some sleep. love ya, hill